There are many, many food plants out there that are easy to grow and are suitable for beginners and kids. These plants are also great for anyone who wants a low stress, low effort garden.
This list is just some of my favorite ones I’ve grown in the past and that I know to be very cooperative for beginners. There are many other plants available that I’m sure are easy
1. Basil – Annual – Can be grown indoors – Pinch to encourage new growth – Likes moist, but not wet soil – Edible flowers
2. Rosemary – Perennial in warm climates but annual in cooler ones – Needs minimal water – Edible flowers
3. Oregano – Perennial – Cut it back to encourage new growth and reduce straggly look – Edible flowers
4. Hot Peppers – Annual in cool climates – Native to Mexico – Needs minimal water
5. Peas – Annual – Easy to sprout – Fast life cycle, produces quickly – Needs a trellis for support
6. Strawberries – Perennial – Regenerate the crop by planting runners
7. Raspberries – Perennial – Spreads by underground rhizomes but this is kept under control by the use of a container or raised bed
8. Blueberries – Perennial shrub in temperate climates – Likes hot sun exposure to ripen and sweeten the berries
9. Carrots – Annual – Many different varieties and colours of seeds are available
10. Potatoes – Annual – Almost a no maintenance food crop – Use grow bags – Needs minimal water
Enjoy growing these easy food plants in containers. When the next growing season gets started, try growing some of these yummy vegetables and fruit. Let me know if you need help getting started.